Berlin city breaks
Berlin has a reputation as one of the coolest cities in Europe, and not without reason. Add to that a rich cultural heritage, great food and plenty of nightlife, and you have a great European city break. Here are some tips for having the perfect weekend away in Berlin:
- have you picture taken in front of Brandenburg Gate;
- soak up the culture on Museum Island;
- enjoy an aerial view of the city from the Reichstag or Fernsehturm;
- explore the 20th Century history of Berlin with the Berlin wall, Checkpoint Charlie and Denkmal für die Ermordeten Juden Europas (Holocaust memorial);
- get a taste of the outdoors by the banks of the Spree or in Grunewald forest; and
- eat your fill of currywurst and sauerkraut.
It's easy to get around the city on public transport, on a bike or from good old fashioned walking. There are also plenty of bus and walking tours to give you a feel for the city.
And in the evenings?
Berlin truly comes to life after dark. There is a notorious club scene which will see you out dancing until it's light again, no matter what your taste in music. Plus there are the many trendy restaurants you'd expect from a cosmopolitan capital like Berlin.
If shopping is your thing head to Charlottenburg where the range of shops varies from high fashion to books.
If you're planning a break before Christmas make sure you check out at least one of the 60 Christmas markets that Berlin has to offer. The rest of the year sees Berlin play host to many flea markets on Sundays which are worth taking a look around. For more information on the Berlin Christmas markets click here